Walkie Talkie Apple Watch Not Working
If you are trying to find someone one-on-one in a crowded place, Apple Watch’s Walkie-Talkie feature, which was introduced with watchOS 5, is a neat feature to try. Here are a few tips to help you if your Walkie-talkie is not working on your Apple Watch.
Follow These Quick Tips To Troubleshoot Walkie-Talkie On Your Apple Watch
Featured Apple Watches with Walkies Talkies
1. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS, 38mm)
2. Apple Watch SE (GPS + Cellular, 40mm
3. Apple Watch Series 6 (GPS, 44mm)
4. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS, 42mm)
5. Apple Watch SE (GPS, 40mm)
Walkie-Talkie functionality has been restored by updating to iOS12.4+ and watchOS 5.3+
Early in July 2019, Apple temporarily disabled all watchOS 5.2 and lower versions, as well as iOS 12.3.2 and lower versions due to a security and privacy concern. If you want to use Walkie-Talkie on your Apple Watch again, you will need iOS 12.4+ and watchOS 5.3 or above.
iOS 12.4 and watchOS 5.3 were released by Apple on July 22, 2019. Apple says it has fixed the Walkie-Talkie app in watchOS 5.3, according to its release notes.
For Walkie-Talkie to work, you must be running iOS 12.4 and WatchOS 5.3!
Walkie-Talkies were temporarily disabled by Apple. Why?
In early July 2019, TechCrunch reported that Apple temporarily disabled its Walkie-Talkie app for Apple Watch following the discovery that walkie-talkie may allow people to listen in on another user’s iPhone without consent.
Until Apple releases a new watchOS update that fixes the walkie-talkie app, it is completely disabled. While walkie talkie However, it does not function on Apple Watches. This vulnerability can only be fixed once Apple fixes it.
When Apple announces Walkie Talkie is fixed, we’ll keep you posted. Apple does not provide updates on bug fixes, so we’ll have to wait for the official announcement and watchOS update. Stay tuned!
To regain access to walkie-talkie, you must update your Apple Watch once the update is released. It won’t work on older watchOS 5 versions, even if a patch is in place.
Compatibility with watchOS 5+ and the Walkie-Talkie feature
The most important thing to do is ensure that your Apple Watch is compatible with the walkie-talkie feature.
The original Apple Watch Series 0 is not compatible with watchOS 5 or above. If the person that you aryou are trying to use a walkie-talkie with someone on an older device, you won’t be able top.
Apple Watch models compatible with walkie-talkies
If you open the Walkie-Talkie app, you will see a list of people with Apple Watches you frequently call, text, or email. The contact you choose is invited to join you on this screen.
Countries that support Walkie-Talkies
When traveling, it’s a good idea to make sure your current country or region supports walkie-talkies.
See the latest list of countries with walkie-talkie and all the other Apple Watch features in this Apple support document. See the built-in app Walkie-Talkie for information about walkie-talkie.
Would you like to share an Apple ID?
You will not be able to use Walkie-Talkie with anyone you share an Apple ID with. Users of Walkie-Talkie must have their own Apple IDs.
Using an Apple ID to download purchases, share photos, and use other services is very common among spouses, wives, children, and friends.
It worked well in previous iOS versions, but folks have reported problems with iOS 12 combining iMessages, FaceTime calls, and Walkie-Talkies when Apple IDs are shared between 2 or more people.
You require separate Apple IDs for Walkie Talkie since it uses FaceTime Audio.
It should work for Walkie-Talkie if you create a new Apple ID, even if it is just for FaceTime.
Apple Watch does not have Walkie-Talkie app? Use FaceTime instead
The Walkie-Talkie app disappears if the paired iPhone has the FaceTime app deleted (or hidden).
Apple Watch users can make and receive FaceTime Audio calls, despite the absence of a FaceTime app. There seems to be a dependency on FaceTime Audio for Walkie Talkie to work!
- Go to your paired iPhone’s App Store
- Enter FaceTime in the Search field
3. Tap the Cloud icon to download the FaceTime again
4. As soon as FaceTime is fully downloaded, go to Settings > FaceTime, sign in with your Apple ID, and double-check all your information.
5. Watch your paired Apple Watch for the Walkie-Talkie app
If your Walkie-Talkie still cannot be found after reinstalling FaceTime, you will need to unpair and re-pair your watch. Walkie-Talkie can then be accessed using that process.
Sending or receiving walkie-talkie invitations isn’t working?
Try this reader tip if you are having trouble getting the app to send, receive, or accept invitations:
- Connect your iPhone to Walkie-Talkie and open the app
- Walkie-Talkie can be found under Watch App
- Swipe left or tap Edit then the minus sign to remove anyone listed under contacts
- The watch app also allows you to remove contacts
- Install the Walkie-Talkie app
- Tap the X on the left side of the contact
What should I do if my walkie talkie app won’t invite me?
Available can be toggled ON and OFF. This applies to both Apple Watch models
Apple Watch tries to connect to a Walkie-Talkie? Shows a connection error?
When users launch the walkie-talkie app, they often find the message Trying To Connect or Connecting to…, as well as empty circles pulsating that do nothing. The walkie-talkie app does not connect.
Your best bet if you experience these issues when trying to use the walkie-talkie feature on your Apple Watch is to first make sure you have a strong Wi-fi or cellular connection.
A 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n wireless connection is required for the Apple Watch. When you try to connect to a public 5GHz Wi-Fi network, it will not work.
The Walkie Talkie app does not show any contacts to invite
As soon as the update was released, this was a struggle. The Contacts field appeared gray, and there were no contacts found to have been invited through the App. The contacts appeared on Apple Watch.
Here are the things that helped fix the problem.
To begin, we re-set the Apple Watch’s network connections (Press Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Connections), followed by a soft reset on the iPhone (Press Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Connections).
Press the side and crown buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears).
Upon restarting the Watch, I checked the contacts, then invited contacts, and it worked.
Make sure your Apple Watch is connected
Check that your Walkie-Talkie status is Available–and toggle on
- Try resetting your iPhone’s network settings and then restarting your Apple Watch to see if the connection is better and if it supports Walkie-Talkie mode if your Apple Watch’s wi-fi connection is primarily driven by your paired iPhone.
- Reset your network settings by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
Tap the Wi-Fi icon in the control center on a newer Apple Watch with GPS + Cellular
How far can the Walkie-Talkie App be used on the Apple Watch?
Additionally, for Series 3+ watches (using Bluetooth only), the Walkie-Talkie app has a range of about 35 feet without WiFi or Cellular.
If you have a cellular watch, the range is unlimited.
Sound issues with the Apple Watch Walkie-Talkie app
Tap the Watch app on your iPhone to check the sound settings on your device.
Check the Do Not Disturb Settings
Workout Do Not Disturb mode is one of the new features of watchOS 5. You will not be able to connect with your friends or family on your Apple Watch while in workout mode and with this setting enabled.
If you want to review this setting, tap on My Watch > General > Do Not Disturb.
Contact names missing from Apple Watch
There might be a problem syncing your data if you are having trouble seeing your contacts on your Apple Watch. To be sure that you have considered all of the usual problems, please read this related article.
How to unpair and reset your Apple Watch
It may be helpful to unpair the Apple Watch from the iPhone and re-pair it if you have tried all the tips above and are still experiencing issues. A simple step of un-pairing and re-pairing can sometimes fix most problems on the Apple Watch.
Can’t or Don’t Want to Press The Talk Button Continuously?
Users who have trouble pressing and holding the Talk button can now talk with the Walkie-Talkie app with just a single tap, without holding.
Talk once, then tap once more to end a walkie-talkie conversation
Why is Walkie Talkie Icon Flashing On My Watch Face?
You may see a yellow icon periodically at the top-middle of your watch’s screen.
It represents the active status of your Walkie-Talkie.
Simply tap the Walkie-Talkie icon to begin a session and start speaking with your loved ones. Passcode-locked Apple Watches should be entered first.
As part of watchOS 5, your Apple Watch displays active apps like Walkie-Talkie, Workout, and Phone at the top of the watch face. This was the case with things such as Water Lock, Do Not Disturb, and Charging in previous versions.
Do you have no time? Watch our video on how to get walkie-talkies working on your Apple Watch!
Finally, I would like to conclude
Finally, with the release of new features, there are sometimes issues that cause the app to not function properly. Apple typically follows up with an update that fixes the issues.
Make sure to keep an eye out for new watchOS updates and check if the walkie-talkie feature works on your Apple Watch after you update to the latest version.
- Start by connecting your Apple ID to FaceTime app on your iPhone or iPad. Go to Settings> FaceTime and sign in with an Apple ID. You should see a message that your Apple ID is connected to your Apple Watch. If you are still having problems, you can delete a contact you want to walkie-talkie with and enter their information again. Try inviting that same contact to Walkie Talkie.
- If you encounter this issue, you should try resetting your AppleWatch and setting it up from scratch. You can erase all the settings and content on your Apple Watch by going to Settings > General > Reset
- To fix it, I deleted all invites, closed the Walkie Talkie app on my watch, and then signed out of FaceTime and re-entered it. Restart the Walkie-Talkie app on the watch, send out an invitation, and see if it works. Mine worked!
- Open Notification Center by touching and holding the top of your Apple Watch face and swiping down.
- Whenever you see a Walkie-Talkie notification, tap it
- Tap Always Allow
- If you can’t find any walkie-talkie notifications, make sure that Do Not Disturb is off, then ask someone to send you an invite to Walkie-Talkie